The Heneage Recusant Family Chapel at Hainton
Hainton Hall is a manor that has been in the possession of a single family for much of its recorded the history. The
The earliest Heneage monument are the brasses to John Heneage (died 1435) and his wife Alice on the chapel floor. John, who is portrayed in civilian dress, was a yeoman and it was he that managed to acquire a share of the manor of Hainton that established the family in Hainton. The family remained recusants, resolutely devoted to the Catholic Faith during the Tudor and Elizabethan period (it is believed until around 1820).
The impressive later sixteenth century monuments at the west end of the chapel, to John Heneage (died 1559) and his sons William died (1610) and George (died 1595) are evidence of this new found wealth. William's monument, showing him and his wives kneeling at prayer has two panels on the top showing the Fall, with Adam and Eve standing next to the Tree of Knowledge and the resurrection of Christ.
George Heneage is commemorated by a particularly lavish monument, a freestanding tomb chest with a painted alabaster effigy showing him in full armour lying on a rolled-up mat.
The east end of the chapel has later monuments. One is a tablet by William Stanton commemorating grandfather, son and grandson, all called George. It is topped by a flaming urn and incorporates garlands and skulls and crossbones.
Next to it is the wall monument to great grandson also called George Heneage (died 1731) by Bertucinni. His bust, set under a canopy with swags and his wives (both of good recusant families) are commemorated by busts flanking his and separate tablets.
With such an impressive array of monuments you almost forget about the church itself. The bottom of the tower is early
The main body of the church is kept open, but the Heneage chapel is locked. There is plenty of roadside parking. Original post by Rev Allen Barton (Norfolk) on his Lincolnshire Churches blog (here).